5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: PROBIOTICS
We've all seen yogurt commercials, boasting that their product is chock full of probiotics - those amazing little good bacteria that balance your digestive system. But what exactly are probiotics and what makes them such a strong selling point for yogurt companies? This weeks 5FFF post is here to answer your questions (at least some of them) with five fast facts about probiotics.
1) Probiotics are often advertised as a way to maintain a healthy digestive system, but they don't just live in your stomach. They're also present in your ears, nose, tonsils, and even your joints.
2) Studies show there are over 1,000 different strains of probiotics present in the human body. You can learn more about each different strain here.
3) Probiotics play multiple, important roles in keeping you healthy, including vitamin production, maintaining a strong immune system, and helping you to absorb nutrients.
4) Probiotics can be found naturally in fermented foods such as cottage cheese, sauerkraut, and of course yogurt!
5) Probiotics are present in the human body, even before birth.
Probiotics are such an interesting topic. There is so much more information out there on the subject, but alas, this is a five fast facts post. We're keeping it short and sweet. Leave us a comment. What is your experience with probiotics? Are they something you try to keep in your diet?