5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: TENNIS BALLS
There's nothing more satisfying than the smell of a freshly opened can of tennis balls. To honor one of the most important components of our favorite sport, we've written this week's 5 fast facts post about tennis balls.
1) In order to be approved by the International Tennis Federation, each tennis ball has to weigh 56.0 to 59.4 grams.
2) Modern tennis balls have a pressurized air core, but back in the day, tennis balls were solid rubber which was sometimes wrapped in flannel.
3) Tennis balls weren't always yellow. They used to be white or black depending on the color of the court. In 1986, Wimbledon introduced the yellow tennis ball.
4) Speaking of Wimbledon, the balls used at our favorite Grand Slam event are stored at a consistent 68°F.
5) Also, during Wimbledon, an estimated 54,250 balls are used. That's a lot of tennis balls!
Amazing right?! Do you have any fun facts about tennis balls we didn't mention? Share them in the comments below.