5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: YOGA
Yoga (and pilates) plays a big part in our lives! That's why we decided to make this week's 5 Fast Facts post about yoga!
1) If you practice yoga, you could live longer! It expands your lungs and benefits your heart. On top of that, it lowers your stress levels, and stress levels have been directly linked to health.
2) Yoga has 8 branches (or limbs, if you will). The eight limbs are: Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyhara, Dharana, Dhyana, and Samadhi. You can learn more about each branch of yoga at this article posted by the Yoga Journal.
3) Yoga has been shown to improve your mood! Like any form of movement it releases endorphins. So, It makes sense that reducing stress through yoga will improve your mood. Yoga is predominantly stretching muscles to release tension in your body and in turn calming the mind, leaving you feeling totally rejuvenated. So, if you're feeling crabby, get to the mat a.s.a.p.
4) According to Guinness World Records, the largest yoga lesson ever held involved 35,985 participants. The event was organized by the Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India, and it was held to honor the first official International Day of Yoga on the 21 of June in 2015.
5) Doga is apparently a thing! If you love your furry friend so much that you want to share your yoga practice with them, you can! Doga was started in New York in 2002 and during the class, pups can be used as props or can participate in some light stretching themselves.