5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: COCONUT OIL
If you've been keeping up with the 30Fifteen blog, then you've probably noticed that coconut oil is coming up a lot in posts like Holiday Food Swaps and Winter Drink Recipes. Since it's been popping up so frequently, we thought we would make it the subject of this week's 5 fast facts post. We all know coconut oil makes your hair shine and your skin moisturized, but check out these lesser known facts about coconut oil.
1) Coconut oil can be used as a natural, non-toxic mosquito repellant. Pro-tip: mix it with a few drops of tea tree oil for added, anti-bug potency.
2) It can boost your immune system because it contains lauric acids and caprylic acids -- both of which are used to fight off bacterial infections.
3) Coconut oil is a healthier alternative to milk fat in the production of ice cream.
4) Virgin coconut oil straight up destroys candida, which is a fungus that can lead to yeast infections.
5) It is ideal for high temperature cooking because it has a higher smoke point than most polyunsaturated or monounsaturated oils.
Forget Batman; coconut oil is apparently the ultimate superhero. It deserves a cape... and a parade. Have a good Friday!