5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: AROMATHERAPY
Your sense of smell is often referred to as your most powerful sense, which is probably why aromatherapy can be so effective! While there is SO much information on aromatherapy (seriously, you could read for hours), we decided to write this week's 5 Fast Facts post to brush up on the basics.
1) Aromatherapy has been used for over 6,000 years of healing, originating in China. The Chinese would burn various herbs to promote peacefulness and harmony.
2) It was discovered by Rene-Maurice Gattefosse, a french chemist, who sustained a severe chemical burn and used lavender oil to relieve pain and heal his wounds.
3) Essential oils are categorized by their smells:
Floral, Citrus, Mint, Woody, Herbaceous, Earthy, and Spicy
4) Most essential oils will last 1-3 years if you store them in a cobalt or amber colored, glass vials. Citrus oil is the exception, and it usually lasts about 6 months to a year.
5) Floral scented essential oils have been known to lower emotional stress and combat depression.
Like we mentioned earlier, there is SO much information out there surrounding aromatherapy, which really isn't surprising when you think about how long the practice has existed! Be sure to leave us a comment! What's your favorite essential oil?