5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Last week we fixed our attention on the Brisbane International, and this week, our tennis obsessed hearts could not resist focusing today’s 5 fast facts post about the upcoming Australian Open.
1) The Australian Open was founded in 1905 and was originally called the Australasian Championship until being renamed in 1969.
2) It is the first Grand Slam event of the calendar year.
3) It is the only Grand Slam event to be played in different countries: Australia and New Zealand.
4) While it used to be played on grass courts, the AO is now played on hard courts.
5) In 2015, the AO had its record number of 703,899 people in attendance.
Now that you’re all brushed up on your Australian Open, you’re totally prepared for some amazing tennis, starting on January 16. Happy Friday!