5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: ANTIOXIDANTS
Congratulations! You made it through another work week. If you remember Wednesday’s post 3 Very Good Excuses to Eat More Chocolate, you probably remember that one of 30Fifteen's favorite indulgences is actually chock full of antioxidants. We’ve all heard about antioxidants, but what exactly are they, and how do they work? Find out in this week’s 5 fast facts post.
1) Antioxidants are compounds that help prevent cell damage from oxidants – hence, antioxidants. Oxidants turn your own body chemicals into what’s called free radicals, affecting the aging process and contributing to disease.
2) “Antioxidants” became a buzzword in the 90s.
3) Taking too many antioxidant supplements can actually harm your body because free radicals are not all bad, and you don’t want to fully eradicate them. Hydrogen peroxide is a free radical, and your body uses it to activate white blood cells, which fight disease. It’s all about balance.
4) You can easily get all the antioxidants that your body needs through your diet. Coffee, tea, chocolate, fruits and vegetables are all high in antioxidants.
5) Antioxidants are often used in skin creams to prevent the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Time to stock up on blueberries and dark chocolate. Have a great weekend!