5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: ENDORPHINS
As you may already know, it is currently #activeApril, and with all that activity, our endorphins are through the roof - which of course, has us feeling absolutely amazing. The fact that it is Friday may also play a part in that. Speaking of endorphins, the 30Fifteen Team presents five fast facts about our favorite brain chemicals:
1) There are at least 20 different kinds of endorphins. That’s right, 20.
2) One type of endorphin, known as beta-endorphins, are stronger than morphine when it comes to blocking pain. Bonus: the don’t have the same addictive qualities that morphine does!
3) Endorphins aren’t all about pain relief. They are also the cause of euphoria – more well known as “runner’s high.” This is what increases your mood and decreases stress and depression post-workout.
4) The release of endorphins can actually enhance your immune system and postpone the aging process.
5) The production of endorphins can vary from person to person. So, a certain workout that causes your brain to release plenty of endorphins, might not have the same effect on your best friend.
The many positive effects of endorphins are all the motivation we need to get more active! Have a happy Friday and an even happier weekend.